I originally planned to get raw pistachios and flavor and cook them in the smoker, but I decided to take it in a different direction. These pistachios are already roasted and salted. But I’ll be adding on a sweet crust and a delicious smoky flavor.
These turned out nice and sweet with the brown sugar and allspice coating held together with a coating of egg white. Delicious little pistachio clusters!
Sweet & Salty Smoked Pistachio Clusters
- 3/4 cup pistachios (roasted & salted)
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a bowl, break an egg, using the egg white only. Drop the pistachios into the egg white to thoroughly coat the pistachios. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the coated pistachios to a clean bowl, leaving most of the egg white behind.
- In another small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and allspice. Pour this over the coated pistachios, and mix until thoroughly coated.
- Prepare your smoker and bring the smoker temperature up to 250° F. I used pecan wood for this to give it a medium strength smoke flavor.
- Once the temperature regulates, place the coated pistachios onto a grill screen, then place the screen on the smoker rack. Cook for 30 minutes, then remove to a clean container.