I’m always looking for new flavors to marinade salmon before smoking it. This marinade I came up with this time worked very well. The ginger was the flavor that came through, and that’s exactly what I was looking for.
Of course though, my favorite, and my wife’s favorite is still the “Smoked Maple Marinated Salmon“.
Smoked Honey~Ginger Salmon
- 1 lb. salmon filets
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together. Microwave on high for 20 seconds. This is long enough to warm the honey, and also help dissolve the ground spices, but not heat it up too much to unsafely add to the fish.
- Remove the skin from the salmon and put them into a plastic bag. Pour the marinade into the bag with the salmon, seal it up and place the bag inside of a plastic container in case of leakage. Marinade for 8 hours, or overnight.
Smoking the Salmon
- Prepare your smoker and get it stabilized at about 250° F. I used apple wood for this cook
- Once stabilized, pour off and discard the the excess marinade and place the salmon on aluminum foil in the smoker.
- Smoke for about 30 to 40 minutes. No need to flip the salmon. The salmon should be at an internal temperature of about 135° to 140° F to be fully cooked.