My wife is making some diabetic friendly treats for her Aunt who has diabetes. So I thought I’d pass this recipe along for all those who have diabetes and would like to try this out. I wondered about all the sugar and caramel in this, but after tasting them, I can see they aren’t as sweet as most treats we’ve eaten.
This was found on the internet, so this is not a Smoked ‘n Grilled original!
Caramel Cashew Chews ~ Diabetic Friendly
- 3/4 butter or oleo, softened
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/3 cup half and half cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup salted cashew halves, chopped
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour and oats; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Press into a 13 x 9 inch pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine caramels and cream. Cook over low heat until caramels are melted, stirring occasionally. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with chocolate chunks and cashews.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Cool on wire rack before cutting.