This apple coffee cake is excellent for breakfast. A little butter on top, 10 seconds in the microwave, and you have a delicious breakfast. Of course, you can always just snack on it too!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (21 oz.) can apple pie filling
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Pour half into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish. Combine pie filling and cinnamon; spoon over batter. Drop remaining batter over filling; spread gently.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire a rack.
- Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm or cooled coffee cake.