What a tasty fruity treat this marinade is that my wife put together for salmon. In fact, I’m going to have to get her to add a little something else to it, and I’ll bet it would be a great fruit salsa that would go well with a lot of different foods. If you try this out, you’ll see what I mean after you’re done blending this together. It just seems more like a salsa than a marinade.
Either way though, it definitely put some nice flavor into the salmon. But of course, once it’s smoked, that nice smoky flavor puts it over the top. This one turned out very tasty!
Smoked Fruit Infused Salmon
- 2 lbs fresh salmon fillet
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 medium banana
- 1 clementine, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 cup 100% pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- Rinse and remove the skin from the salmon fillets, and place them into a sealable plastic container.
- Put the pineapple chunks, banana and clementine into a food processor and pulse until slightly lumpy. Put this into a mixing bowl and add the pineapple juice and Chinese Five Spice. Mix thoroughly together and pour the marinade over the salmon in the plastic container. Seal it up and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Prepare your smoker and get it stabilized at about 250° F. I used plum wood for this cook.
- Once stabilized, pour off and discard the the excess marinade and place the salmon on a (small hole) grill screen in the smoker.
- Smoke for about 40 to 50 minutes. No need to flip the salmon, but I generally flip it once. The salmon should be at an internal temperature of about 135° to 145° F to be fully cooked.