This is not your typical Chex mix. This version reduces the fat and sodium, while increasing the fiber. If you like garbanzos and dried fruit, you’re gonna love this awesome healthy snack. If I had to find words to describe it, I would say it’s crispy, sticky, sweet and spicy. But most of all, it’s delicious!
Great for parties and an every day snack.
My wife came across this recipe on the Mayo Clinic website, so this is not my original idea, or recipe, but definitely one I wanted to pass on to all of you!
We made some modifications after trying the first batch, because it seemed to come out a bit sticky, and the chickpeas, (garbanzos) were too soft. The original didn’t call for pre-roasting the garbanzo beans, but we felt it was definitely a necessity.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzos, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 2 cups Wheat Chex cereal
- 1 cup dried pineapple chunks
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Butter flavored cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Generously spray a baking sheet with butter-flavored cooking spray. Thoroughly rinse and pat dry the garbanzos and transfer them to the baking sheet. Generously spray the garbanzos and mix them together to evenly coat the beans with the spray. Bake at 350° F for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring the beans about every 10 minutes. The beans should be fairly crispy.
- In a large glass measuring cup combine honey, Worcestershire sauce and spices. Stir to mix evenly.
- In a bowl, add the Chex, the roasted garbanzos, pineapple chunks and raisins together and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the liquid spice mixture over the snack mix and toss gently.
- Lightly coat the original baking sheet with butter-flavored cooking spray again and add the mixture. Spread evenly and lightly spray the mixture with the cooking spray. Bake at 350° F for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep the mixture from burning. Remove from oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container.