For the surf and turf lover! It’s a dream come true! Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating a bit, but it’s all right there on one skewer for you.
Grill it, slide the shrimp and beef off on your plate, add your favorite veggies, and you have your perfect dream meal!
Before we get into the recipe, a couple of hints for you about the beef.
First of all, cut all your pieces the same size so they all cook the same.
Second, when the shrimp is done, (which is within a few minutes), the beef will have to be done also. So cut your pieces to the size according to how you like your beef cooked. For instance, about 2″ square will render medium well, about 3″ square will render rare.
So, follow along for the perfectly grilled surf and turf kebobs!
- 1 lb. (minimum) beef tenderloin
- 1 lb. jumbo shrimp (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Spice Mixture for Beef
- 1/2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 Tablespoon minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix together all the marinade ingredients and set aside.
- In a spice shaker, mix together all the spices for the beef and set aside.
- Cut your beef tenderloin into equal sized pieces. (about 2" square. Larger if you want it more on the rare side.) Sprinkle with your spices you prepared earlier and set in the refrigerator for 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Completely rinse and remove the shells from the shrimp. Place in a plastic bag and pour the marinade into the bag with the shrimp. Seal and place in the refrigerator for 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Prepare your skewers by alternating the beef and the shrimp. Should make about 6 skewers.
- Prepare a medium hot grill and place the skewers directly above the coals. Watch them closely, flipping them as needed to avoid burning them. They should be done in just a few minutes. Once the translucent look of the shrimp disappears.
Here’s how they looked shortly before removing them from the grill.