Here is another one from the creative mind of my wife. Man, she out-did herself this time!
The marinade flavored the meat so nicely, and then the stuffing added even more awesome flavor to it. Then on top of that, we add the flavor of plum wood while smoking it. This will knock your socks off! All you have to do is give it a try.
Smoked & Stuffed Apple Cherry Chicken Breast
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Marinade Time: 8 hours
Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 12 oz. can apple-cherry concentrate
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- apple (diced)
- cherries (diced)
- cranberries (chopped)
- walnuts (chopped)
- Clean and rinse the chicken breasts. Remove any excess fat and cut a lengthwise pocket into each breast. (See pictures for an example). Place into a ziplock bag.
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix the marinade ingredients together. Microwave on high for 20 seconds to allow the concentrate to thaw and to help the cinnamon dissolve and blend. Pour into ziplock bag with the chicken, seal and marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours.
- Once the breasts are fully marinated, chop and dice the stuffing ingredients. You will want equal portions of each ingredient. In a bowl, mix these together and amply fill the pocket of each chicken breast. Tie them closed with butcher string.
- Get your smoker going and let it settle in at a temperature of 250° F. I used plum wood for this, but of course you can use the wood of your preference. Place the stuffed chicken breasts directly on the rack. Maintaining a temperature of around 250°, smoke it until it reaches an internal temperature of 155° to 165°. This should take approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Note: 155° will give you a much more tender and moist piece of chicken, and will be fully cooked.
Here’s what they lookind like while cooking just before I took them off the smoker.