When I tell people that I used nacho cheese flavored Doritos for the filler, most people look at me as if I’ve lost my everlovin’ mind. I always say, if you haven’t tried it, then you really don’t know. You have to think outside the box once in a while, otherwise you just keep eating the same old meatloaf all your life.
I guarantee that if you try it, you’ll be glad you did. It has such a distinct Tex-Mex flavor, it will have you wanting more.
So here it is in a nutshell!
Smoked Nacho Cheese Dorito Meatloaf
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup crushed Nacho Cheese Flavored Dorito Chips
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1) Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Now form a loaf and place it into a flat shallow aluminum pan. You’ll want the pan to be bigger than your loaf so it can breathe in all that delicious smoke.
2) If you haven’t already gotten your smoker going, do that now. I used hickory wood for smoking this meatloaf .
3) Once it’s up to a temperature of 250 degrees, put the meatloaf into the smoker. Maintain a temperature of 250 degrees. At this temperature, it should be done in 1 1/4 hours.
Note: For you pink meat lovers, it should be to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F in 1 hour. I take mine out at an internal temperature of 175 degrees F to make sure it’s thoroughly cooked. This takes 1 1/4 hour.