So many delicious flavors mixed together in this recipe. There is the juices, wine and ginger in the marinade. Then we add the tropical fruits and pistachio nuts into the stuffing! And on top of that, we add the smoke flavor. For this particular recipe, I used sassafras wood for the smoking.
All these flavors combined together creates one fantastically delicious flavor! All I can say is you have to try it to know just how good it really is.
Smoked Fruit & Pistachio Stuffed Chicken
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 oz. can of frozen concentrate orange-pineapple juice (thawed)
- 1/2 cup white wine (for cooking)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- oranges (finely chopped)
- pineapple (finely chopped)
- papaya (finely chopped)
- pistachios (coarsely chopped)
- In a bowl, mix the marinade ingredients together. Set aside.
- Clean and rinse your chicken breasts. Using a sharp knife, cut the breasts in half lengthwise, but do not cut all the way through to separate. You want to cut almost through so you can fold it out into one big piece half the original thickness. With a rolling pin, or a flat surfaced meat hammer, pound the breast out to about 1/4 inch thick. (Note: Try to keep all the meat close to the same thickness for even cooking.)
- Combine the meat with the marinade and store in the refrigerator for about 8 hours. (Or overnight)
- After the meat is marinated, combine the stuffing ingredients together and coat the surface of the flattened chicken breasts. Roll them up and secure with toothpicks. (Note: if you use too much stuffing, they won't roll up as well.)
- Prepare your smoker and bring the smoker temperature up to 250° F. Once the temperature regulates, place the stuffed chicken breasts on the smoker. This should take approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes to cook to a tender perfection.
- Note: The internal temperature of the meat should be about 165° F to be done, but this is very difficult to get accurate readings with the thinner meat and the stuffing involved. Best to go by sight, or cut a piece off and sample it.