After making it a few times myself, I’ve tweaked it up quite a bit to the way I like it. I’ve always loved the peanut butter to be swirled through the ice cream, so that’s what I worked on accomplishing. I’ve also gone from ice cream to fat free frozen yogurt, because it’s much healthier and less fattening.
This will take you all of 30 minutes of actual work time to put together!
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Frozen Yogurt Crunch
1 gallon chocolate fat free frozen yogurt
2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1) About 4 hours before starting the process of mixing the peanut butter and yogurt, cut two pieces of wax paper to 12 inches wide or so. Measure out 1 cup of creamy peanut butter and spread it out on one of the pieces of wax paper about 1/8 of an inch thick. Too much thicker than this, and it won’t freeze as hard as you’re going to need it to be. Now put the other piece of wax paper on top of the peanut butter and put this in the freezer for about 4 hours or more.
Hint: You can use crunchy peanut butter for the swirl part if you’d like, but it stays a little softer than creamy does when frozen.
2) Once the peanut butter is nice and frozen, take the gallon of frozen yogurt out of the container and put it into a large mixing bowl. Let it soften a bit. This will take about 15 minutes.
Hint: Put the empty container back in the freezer while you’re working on this. It gets a little messy otherwise.
3) Mix the 1 cup of crunchy peanut butter, and the remaining 1 cup of creamy peanut butter into the softened frozen yogurt a little at a time until thoroughly blended. Don’t let it get too melted so that it becomes runny!
4) Now take the frozen peanut butter out of the freezer and break it up a bit. Mix this into the frozen yogurt. It will break up more as you mix it in.
5) Put it all back into the original tub and refreeze. Yes, believe it or not, it all fits back in with room to spare. Must be a natural phenomenon! Maybe a rocket scientist can explain this for us all!
After about 2 hours in the freezer, it’s ready to enjoy. And believe me, enjoy you will!