A friend of mine goes fishing on Lake Michigan most every weekend during the spring and gave me a couple of nice 5 to 6 pound Rainbow Trout.
I’m not very experienced at filleting, but I did my best. I still found a few small bones, but overall, not too bad. However, there was no shortage of experience once I got the fillets to the grill!
With just the right amount of spice added to the fillet, I grilled it until just done. Delicious!
- 4 large Rainbow Trout fillets
- 1 Tablespoon lemon pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced onions
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Mix all the spice rub ingredients together. Cover all surfaces of the fish with a light to medium covering of the spice rub and gently rub into the fillets. Set aside while you prepare your grill.
- Get your grill going and achieve a medium hot grill. Place the fillets in a grill basket or on a grill screen with smaller holes to keep the fillet from falling apart and crumbling through the grill as it gets closer to done. Cook for approximately 5 to 6 minutes per side. You only need to flip it once on the grill.
- Note: If you're unsure of whether it's fully cooked or not, you can test it with a digital meat thermometer at the center of the thickest part of the fillet. The temperature should read approximately 135° F.