Fruitcake. You either love it or you hate it! Myself, I love it! In fact I love it a whole lot, but I’ve cut back to eating just a few pieces throughout the Christmas holidays.
It’s not what you’d call low-cal, but it is the holidays, and there’s nothing wrong with splurging once in a while. In fact, while you’re at it, you might as well wash it down with a big glass of eggnog. Another thing you either love or hate. Again, I love eggnog too!
Grandma’s Fruitcake Recipe
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1/2 lb. cherries
- 1/2 lb. pineapple
- 1 lb. dates (cut in half)
- 1 lb. pecans
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients from Group 1.
- In a second mixing bowl, combine the ingredients from Group 2.
- Add Group 2 into the bowl with Group 1 ingredients and mix well. This will coat and help separate Group 1 ingredients.
- Now add the Group 3 ingredients and mix well.
- Grease 2 bread loaf pans and line the bottom of each pan with 3 pieces of wax paper. Put half of the ingredients into each pan.
- In a preheated oven, place a pan of water on the lower rack, and place cake pans on the center rack and bake for 1 hour at 275°, then turn the temperature up to 350° and bake for another 20 minutes. Remove and allow to cool before removing from the pans.