Oh man, all that cinnamon and sugar melted into the apple slices! Sooo good! This is a little messy to eat because the pastry is so nice and flaky, so you’ll want to dig into this with a fork. But if you like to be a messy eater, go ahead and grab a square with your hands and go to it!
Either way, this is so flaky and so sweet with all that cinnamon and sugar melted into those apple slices. Do I have your attention yet? I’m thinking maybe I should go get another piece while I’m writing this.
This one is definitely one to try. So what are you waiting for?
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups shortening (I used butter flavored)
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 lbs. baking apples (I used golden delicious), peeled and sliced thin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix first 3 ingredients together. Beat egg yolks, water, and lemon juice together and mix into flour mixture. Divide into 2 balls of equal size.
- On a floured surface, roll out the first ball to fit a jelly roll pan. Put in pan and layer the sliced apples on top. Mix the sugar, flour, and cinnamon and sprinkle on the apples. Dot with the butter.
- Roll out the second ball of dough and top the apples.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Mix the icing ingredients together and drizzle over the top.
- Serve hot or cold.
- We ate this as a breakfast item, with the powdered sugar drizzle, but it would also be excellent warm with ice cream.