No ice cream maker needed for this! This is a very quick and easy ice cream to make. When my wife and I started this process, I didn’t see how it could turn into anything resembling ice cream, but it sure enough did! And it sure enough is quite tasty!
You can experiment and change up the peppermint candies and the chocolate chips with anything you prefer. Go wild with your imagination and see what you can come up with.
To the best of my knowledge, this recipe was originally from Nestle’s Toll House. All my wife has at this point is an old page torn out of an unidentified cook book.
Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Mint Ice Cream
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 1/2 quarts
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy canes
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a heavy gauge saucepan, combine sugar and butter. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring occasionally; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Blend eggs, vanilla and salt on medium for 30 seconds. Add sugar mixture; blend on high 1 minute; set aside to cool.
- In large bowl, beat heavy cream until stiff. Fold sugar mixture, peppermint candy and chocolate chips into whipped cream. Pour into foil lined 9x5x3 loaf pan. Cover with foil; freeze until firm.