This recipe was taken directly from AllRecipes. However, it has been modified by us slightly, and I personally have a couple recommendations to make it better.
First of all, it was a bit bland. My wife added some maple syrup to it, and it did taste sweeter. I added just a bit of salt to it, and I liked the way that tasted also. So I’m not going to modify the actual recipe, but just keep in mind these suggestions.
My wife baked these in her Grandmother’s bean pot. Does anyone remember these? Or maybe used them yourself? It’s also been referred to as a crock pot.
Bean Pot Vegan Baked Beans
- 1 (16 ounce) package dry navy beans
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped sweet onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place beans and water in a large pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and continue cooking 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender. Drain, and transfer to a large casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onions, and cook until tender. Mix in garlic, and cook until golden brown. Mix onions and garlic into casserole dish with the beans. Stir in the tomato sauce. Mix in brown sugar, molasses, vinegar, bay leaves, mustard, pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Cover and bake 3 1/2 hours in the preheated oven, stirring frequently and adding water if necessary. Remove cover, and continue baking 30 minutes.