This is the first installment of a non-BBQ recipe section I am including in this website. These are old family recipes that are time tested and have been handed down for at least 5 generations that I know of.
This first installment will be a series of Cajun recipes handed down on my mother’s side. My grandfather, known to us as Paw-Paw, was born and raised in St. Charles, Louisiana. I grew up eating all of these, and I might add; loving them!
I’m starting with my absolute favorite recipe first.
Authentic Cajun Shrimp Creole
- 2 TBS oil
- 1 onion
- 1/2 green pepper
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 buds garlic (or cloves)
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 16 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 TBS flour
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 can water (tomato sauce can)
- 3 lbs. medium shrimp (without shells)
- White Rice
- Chop onion, green pepper, celery and garlic. In a skillet, brown onion, green pepper, celery and garlic in oil. Once browned, add flour and stir until smooth on a low fire.
- Add tomato sauce, water, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and remaining spices and stir.
- Add shrimp, salt and pepper. Cover, and let simmer 45 minutes.
- Prepare white rice, and pour creole over rice.
- Serves 6