It’s tailgating time again, and I’ve created the perfect tailgating recipe for you! Since working with McCormick for the last few months, I’ve had the opportunity to try a lot of their awesome seasoning blends and marinades. This small bite appetizer recipe is quick and easy to prepare, and has a big flavor that will have everyone excited to see these come off the grill and on to the party table!
I love using ground turkey on the grill. Not only for the fact that it’s a lean and healthy meat choice, but also for its great flavor. Mixed with one of the delicious Grill Mates seasoning mixes makes it even that much tastier. I chose the new Grill Mates Steakhouse Classic Burger seasoning mix for this recipe. For me, the Classic Burger blend provides big flavor in a small bite, as mentioned in McCormick’s Grilling Flavor Forecast.
As a side note, you can create these turkey balls ahead of time and freeze them. Then all you’ll need to do on game day is thaw them out and roll them in the crushed pistachios, then throw them on the grill.
Give this one a try, because I have no doubt that not only you, but your entire tailgating crowd will go nuts over this one!
This is a sponsored post on behalf of McCormick.
Grilled Pistachio Crusted Spicy Turkey Balls
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast
- 1 pkg. Grill Mates Steakhouse Classic Burger seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped or crushed salted pistachio nuts
- cooking spray
- Thoroughly mix together the ground turkey breast with the cheese and the Grill Mates seasoning mix.
- Pinch off a small portion of the turkey mix and roll into about a 2" diameter ball. Place on a sheet of wax paper, or (into a container for freezing if making for later use). Repeat this process until all the turkey is used.
- Crush or finely chop in a food processor the pistachios. Roll the turkey balls in the pistachios to completely cover. Set aside in a pan or on a plate. Lightly spray the turkey balls all around with cooking spray to keep from sticking on the grill, and also to crisp up the outside while cooking.
- On a medium hot grill, and using a grill screen laid on top of the grill grate, place the turkey balls onto the grill screen directly over the coals. Turn regularly to make sure they're cooking evenly. These should take about 15 minutes to cook.
- NOTE: To make sure they're cooked without cutting one, use a thermometer probe inserted into the center of one of the turkey balls. The temperature should read 155° to 165° F. 155° should be fully cooked and still nice and juicy!
- Remove from the grill and serve!
- Makes approximately 24 balls.